How is that working for you? For myself it doesn’t work too well. That is why I am writing this article.
I got tired of the zits, the fat and the general yucky feelings!
My SUGAR FREAK had been my nemesis for years! We had a love / hate relationship. We would dream of it, drive across town for it. My Sugar Freak held total control! Then the day came when I couldn’t take her one more minute! She was robbing me of too much! I was overweight, out of shape, no energy and generally felt bad all over. It was time for us to break it off!
Getting off sugar was the difficult part. It wasn’t easy. But I knew it would be worth it.
A little more about about SUGAR in case you need some help wanting to quit.
Studies have shown that sugar can be harmful to the human body. Sugar can inflame the tissues which gives the skin a pasty, bloated appearance. If you want to put it to the test, simply take a picture of yourself the morning after a sugar or food binge. Just try to quit all sugar for 1 week only. Take a before and after picture and it might be astonishing, depending on how much sugar you take in. Most say they have noticed that the skin looks more refreshed, youthful and glowing.
Sugar is also quite addicting. I notice when I eat sugar, I want more. It reminds me of the time when I quit smoking several years ago. I was ok as long as I didn’t have another puff. The moment I had a puff off a cigarette, it wasn’t long before I was back to smoking like a fiend again. My rule for quitting smoking was that I could never have even just 1 puff ever again. I had to make the same decision for sugar. When I eat sugar, I notice right away that I want more! The day after eating sugar is next to impossible to live without it.
Just let me say that while quitting sugar was difficult, it only took just a few days to see ASTONISHING RESULTS! And with a few turn-around steps, it can actually be easy.
Here are the steps I took for quitting sugar:
#1 – FOCUS ON the WHY! This will enhance your desire to want to be willing to quit and possible for good.
Let’s begin with asking the important questions: For Example:
- What are the cons if you continue eating sugar? What is eating sugar robbing you of? How much time have you spent in the sugar? Obsessing? Dieting? Struggling? What are the health consequences? Diabetes? Rotted Teeth? Body Fat and Inflammation? How would your life be different if you were stop eating sugar over the next year? Would you lose weight? Would your dentist check-ups be better? Would you have better general health? More energy?
#2 – DECIDE TO STOP Make the decision that you no longer want to allow the SUGAR FREAK to run your life. Once I decided to stop eating sugar, the rest became easier. It helps that I am a Personal Success Coach, of course. I have many tricks, tools and techniques, which I would be happy to elaborate further at a later time. But, in the meantime, these 3 tips will work for every one to get off to a fast start.
It takes 3 weeks to break a habit and another 3 weeks to recreate a new one. For every day after that you are sugar free, you will get stronger and stronger! There was a time, years ago, when I couldn’t stop smoking. I changed my identity at the time I quit smoking. It has been decades since I smoked. Today I am a NON-SMOKER. As for the SUGAR FREAK , she is gone just like the cigarettes and I LOVE THE BENEFITS!
THE PARTNER for ACCOUNTABILITY
This step was crucial for me! I enlisted a partner who would help me. We decided upon 3 hour segments for checking in for accountability. I would text her with this commitment: “For the next 3 hours I commit to eating no sugar. I will also connect with God to help me through these next 3 hours.” I set the timer on my phone. It is interesting that it jolts me every time to remember that I am committed to no sugar. Because I forget very easily.
The Partner / Accountability Steps:
- Get a support partner
- Segment your day in about 3 hour segments with careful note of the difficult times of your day when you usually go to the sugar.
- Set the timer or alarm on your phone to go off every 3 hours.
- Text to your partner your commitment for those 3 hours.
- Pray to the God of your understanding the following: God, help me to be sugar free for the next 3 hours.
- Repeat the process until you have made it through the first 3 weeks. This will help you to stop the old pattern/habit quickly so that you can CONDITION yourself for fast results.
Rose Black, Personal Success Coach